Computer programming is being the dream job for young computer science bachelors and our new generation is taking more interest than ever before in this field. The world is moving towards automation and Artificial Intelligence. All this happened and made possible by the great minds in computer programming field.
A computer programmer writes the code for computer applications and operating systems. Once a software design is completed, it is handed over to the programmer who converts that design into a set of instructions a computer can follow.
There are many companies that seek for good programming expertise from the field. For that, many companies that write and test the software applications, hire most of the programmers and work as a service provider for many organizations. However, many other programmers got hired by the finance and insurance companies for developing in-house software applications. Moreover, the median annual salary of a programmer is quite attractive than any other computer science entry level job and pays around $77,550 annually.
How to Become a Programmer?
The possibilities of getting a job as a computer programmer are good when a candidate holds a bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, or information systems. However, many employers also hire candidates who have a degree in non technical subject such as accounting, finance and business, as long as he has potential programming skills and worked on projects that support his learning.
In the world of programming, experience is the key to success, it’s better to have worked on small projects rather than working on zero projects. Employers don’t seek employee with degrees from reputed institution all the time. In most cases, experience helps candidate to prove his skills, so work on projects and enhance your skills.
What Soft Skills Do You Need to Succeed in This Career?
In addition to the technical skills you will acquire through formal training and experience, you will also need the following soft skills to succeed in this field:
- Instructions understanding: You must be able to understand written instructions.
- Problem Solving: Programmers must identify problems.
- Critical Thinking: When solving problems and making decisions, you should know how to weigh all your options so you can choose the best one.
- Troubleshooting: You must be able to find small mistakes in code and fix them.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The roles and responsibilities as a computer programming is not something unknown to employee. All the computer languages that a computer programmer is aware off and have expertise on; will be asked to write code. But, there are some typical job duties for computer programmer positions which include:
- Develop, test and implement computer programs on multiple platforms
- Develop a information system (IS) for organization
- Perform all necessary activities like defining, designing, development, testing and implementation of the system.
- Frequently review programs and make adjustments to assure its stability.
- Integrate new functionalities into existing applications
You can find many resources to learn programming, but practicing is the only way to succeed and learn quickly. So, focus on practical base learning that many online courses like “Scratch Programming for Everybody” provides. There is no one path or shortcut to grow in the field, only programming skills can take you towards success. However, once you are working in the field, you will have to keep your skills up-to-date by learning new programming languages.